Sans Soleil

Sans Soleil may be the single most confusing film I have ever seen.  The string of images put together is supposed to convey a message/theme of memory throughout the film–the only thing the film conveyed to me was confusion.  I know we were supposed to sit back and relax and take it all in, but in all honesty, the more I tried to relax, the more frustrated I grew.  The images of the parade and women dancing in horribly uncomfortable looking shoes was pleasant enough to see, and could have represented a fond memory of a happy time, however the overall disconnect between images and themes seemed to only serve to further confuse me and continue to lose more and more of the true meaning of the film.  The different compilations of images, some meant to represent dreams, all seemed to add even more mystery and confusion to the overall message of the film.  Chris Marker surely had a message in mind– unfortunately i feel it was lost on me. 

Montero, David. “Film also ages: time and images in Chris Marker’s Sans soleil.” Studies in French Cinema 6.2 (2006): 107-115. Film & Television Literature Index. EBSCO. Web. 3 Apr. 2011.