Sans Soleil

Sans Soleil is a very interesting film made by French filmmaker Chris Marker.  As intriguing as many arguments are as well as the images that accompany it, it is a very hard film to follow and at times made me very anxious.  This film deals with memory and states that memory has more to do with forgetting than remembering our past and what we have experienced.  I’m unsure what was being said during the scene, but an image that I won’t forget any time soon was the scene with a giraffe being killed and then eaten by vultures.  This was a very graphic and disturbing scene.  The scene may have been used to demonstrate that amongst all of the beautiful, fleeting images being show, your memory seems to only recall the most dramatic memories and images.

Carol Mavol argues that the film’s fleeting images are as evasive as the famously small madeleine cake which you could say is like our memory.  Although we may have experienced something we may not recall it although there are all sorts of random stimuli that you are exposed to on an everyday basis which may make you recall this forgotten thought.  Although I am still very confused on what I saw in Sans Soleil and what I should’ve learned having seen it, I think Sans Soleil has successfully made everyone who saw it think about how or mind and memory work.

WORK CITED

Mavor, Carol. “Happiness with a Long Piece of Black Leader : Chris Marker’s SANS SOLEIL.” Art History 30.5 (2007): 738-756. Film & Television Literature Index. EBSCO. Web 4 Apr. 2011