Sans Soleil

Of all the movies I’ve watched both in film classes and outside of film classes, nothing comes close to Sans Soleil. It’s probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to watch as I found it be incredibly disturbing in numerous scenes throughout the documentary.  The one scene that sticks out to me most is when the giraffe is shot and killed and blood pours out of his neck like a water fall. As if that weren’t disturbing enough, later it’s eyes are picked at and gauged by birds. As badly as I would like to forget such a sight, it’s the one scene that sticks out in my mind the most when I think back to the film.

I found this documentary difficult to watch on a number of levels. Not only was it difficult to take in during certain disturbing scenes, I also found it difficult to follow. I don’t know if it was English subtitles dubbing the French narration that made it so much harder to follow. But between Japan and Africa or the fact that I just couldn’t understand the documentary as a whole. I found clips of the documentary in English to be somewhat helpful, but still difficult since they were all fragmented.

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=27824800&site=ehost-live