Sans Soleil

Extremely clever but very confusing! Sans Soleil was directed by Chris Marker and released in 1983. Told by an unaccredited narrator, Marker creates a film that is, literally, out of its element. The film is in no way chronological; rather it is disproportionate and juxtaposed. Think of Christopher Nolan’s Memento, but French. The film itself is an innovation. It somehow blurs the lines of documentary filmmaking with essay style, creating a unique and very memorable film in the New Wave.
“The first image he told me about was of three children on a road in Iceland, in 1965.” This subtitle is followed by a blank screen and then a jet plane falling to the ground, too completely different images. The film continues in this fashion. For what I feel it’s worth, this entire movie never clearly has two scenes that coincide with each other, leading the audience into thinking about the relationship between what is being shown and said.

Carol Mavor. “Happiness with a Long Piece of Black Leader; Chris Marker’s Sans Soleil.” Art History 30.5 (2007) : 738 – 756

About Mathias Kranacher

Hey Im Matt. Im 20 from NYC. I am a huge movie buff! Media Studies major and a Journalism minor. This blog was dont for school but I enjoyed writting about cinema so much that Ive decided to keep it going. Im only writting about movies, past, present, and future. If you're coming here looking for gossip about Hollywood, you're not gunna get it. Although I will occational post about the lastest scandals lol. Feel free to comment and tell me what you think, but lets be foreal, dont go crazy with the insults people. I understand free speach and all but make you point, say what you gotta say, and be on. Lets not get all personal.... We're here becuase we love movies and wanna express our thoughts. Enjoy :)