The Red and The White

The Red and The White is a film directed my Hungarian director Miklós Jancsó in 1960s (realeased in 1967), about the Russian Civil War. In the film, Jancsó shares wide panning shots of the environment, while keeping consistent with a moving camera. The moving camera effectively puts the audience’s attention  on the movie as a whole and less focused on the characters themselves. By doing this, it breaks the fourth wall and helps to better focuses the audience’s attention and make them feel more effectively involved. As discussed in class, this technique is called brechtian film making. In combination with this techique, the moving camera, and the wide panned angled shots, Jancsó really does his best to make his audience part of the experience instead of sitting ducks, just viewing his film. An aspect of the film I did not enjoy, but must make commentary on for it’s simplicity was the simple fact that this film embodied war. I didn’t enjoy all the brutal killings, but I could appreciate the fact that it depicts war in it’s simplest form; death.

This entry was posted in Assignment, Film Response. Bookmark the permalink.