The Red and The White

When I finished watching the screening of ‘The Red and The White’ I was left a bit on the confused side. I did not know what to conclude about it. Professor Monroy had told us before starting the movie that the storyline had a bit of a romeo and juliet angle, so throughout the screening I was waiting for the male and female protagonists to appear. But my answer was not given until towards the very end and even after their death the film was not about them. I was just thinking what exactly is this movie about. Whose story is this movie actually following. And the answer I ended up with was that this is not a story of individuals but of a group of people. The pain and summary of one was felt as a whole. The filming of movie was filled with long takes with wide shots. Closeups were hardly ever used emphasizing even more the idea that this film was not about individuals. Movies of today hardly ever have long takes, it is almost non existent because of the short attention span of people of today. I found myself at times losing focus because the scenes were so long and no real narrative film style was being shown. Even with that type of film style it made me focus more on whats happening as a whole. It forced me to look at all the details, almost in a way of making me work in order to understand the film. It was most definitely a breathe of fresh air watching this film and made me appreciate a very different and unconventional way of filmmaking which was rare back in 1968 and is still rare today.

STRAUSZ, LASZLO. “THE POLITICS OF STYLE IN MIKLÓS JANCSÓ’S THE RED AND THE WHITE AND THE LORD’S LANTERN IN BUDAPEST.” Film Quarterly 62.3 (2009): 41-47. Communication & Mass Media Complete. EBSCO. Web. 7 Mar. 2011.

This entry was posted in Film Response 03/07. Bookmark the permalink.