Review “The Red and The White”

Brian Fairchild

The film, “The Red and The White,” that we watched in class was like no film I had ever seen before. I’ve watchedmany war and revolution films, but to watch this Russian Revolution picture that didn’t portray a good guy and a bad guy was a nice change-up from the majority. I personaly payed attention to the fact that as soon as we would become familiar with a character, they would be killed just before they would really become a protagonist/antagonist. This way of portraying the story in my opinion is very accurate to that of actual war.  As I’ve heard war stories from relatives who are veterans, and the sadness of losing a friend in an instant just before you really get to know them certainly came alive in this film. As the camera was constantly moving like that of human eyes, this use of a subjective movement made me feel, the audience, as if Iwere a soldier myself, focusing on one shot and then quickly ignoring and focusing on another. The article, “The Politics of Style in Miklos Jancso’s The Red and The White and The Lord’s Lantern in Budapest,”  is referring to the execution of the two men in the beginning scene when stating, ” Who are these men? And why does the filmmaker seem so cold, uninterested in the fates of the character?”(Strausz) In relation to my argument of the film being portrayed through my eyes, it almost to me feels as if I’m looking away from the executions, and not wanting to see my comrades die before my eyes.

Works Cited
STRAUSZ, LASZLO. “THE POLITICS OF STYLE IN MIKLÓS JANCSÓ’S THE RED AND THE WHITE AND THE LORD’S LANTERN IN BUDAPEST.” Film Quarterly 62.3 (2009): 41-47. Film & Television Literature Index. EBSCO. Web. 7 Mar. 2011. 

This entry was posted in Film Response 03/07, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.