Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore

New Hollywood sometimes referred to as the “American New Wave“, refers to the time from the mid-1960s to the early 1980s when a new generation of young filmmakers started influencing the types of films produced. Technically, the greatest change the New Hollywood filmmakers brought was an emphasis on realism.  

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore is a 1974 American drama film. Directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Robert Getchell. This film is about a newly-widowed woman named Alice Hyatts who’s on the road with her son Tommy. Alice is determined to make a new life for herself as a singer. Her pursuit of broken dreams lands her a waitressing job in an Arizona diner. There she meets a farmer named David and falls in love with him. We can see that Alice becomes more independent through the obstacles she faces during her journey. Even though she had a man each time, she was always the first to get up and leave. Through the protagonist trails and errors we see a sense of strength and endurance from a single mother in desperate times. I personally thought that this film hit exactly what a single woman would go through, it really emphasized on real life experiences. Not everything goes the way you planned and that you’ll end up with a new dream and be content with it. In conclusion she remains in Arizona with David and realizes that she’s happy where she is.

Side note: in the beginning of the movie the opening sequence reminded me of Wizard of Oz because of the singing and the contrast.

Andrews, John. “Stagflation, virtuosity and other ambivalences.” Women & Performance 19.2 (2009): 173-186. Film & Television Literature Index. EBSCO. Web. 2 Mar. 2011

This entry was posted in Film Response, Film Response 02/23. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore

1. myun says:

prof. monroy,

I posted on March 2, 2011 at 11:50pm… I don’t understand why it’s posted on March 3, 2011 AT 12:56am. I hope this doesn’t lower my grade because I definitely posted before it hit 12am.

2. myun says:

nevermind I think I got it to work properly. I had to change the time and date. It was way off…

3. Juan Monroy says:

Thanks for fixing the date (and for being honest).

Very good review of the film. Can you elaborate on why it reminds you of the Wizard of Oz? It’s a common comparison but I’d like to hear why.

4. myun says:

The color contrast, the dullness of the opening scene, the singing and the setting being on a farm reminded me of Wizard of Oz. The two films have the protagonist walking on the farm and singing. And to top it off they both have a animal in the scene. Alice is holding a chicken, and for the Wizard of Oz Dorthy’s dog Toto is in the scene. Also the women calling on the protagonist names to come inside. Of course it was two different feels where Dorthy’s aunt was calling her to come in, in a more softer tone and whereas Alice’s mother was just yelling and rebuking her to come in. That whole opening squence was just a flashblack for me.