Film Response for March 7: The Red, The White, or Daises

For your second blog assignment, please compose and entry on either The Red and the White or on Daisies which were prominent films during our class discussion on Eastern European cinema today.

Your blog post on either film is due before class on Monday, March 7. Yes, that’s next week!

Remember your blog post must incorporate three things:

• Your observations from watching the film
  • The course material we covered in class
  • A reading you found using the research databases.
This entry was posted in Announcement, Film Response 03/07 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Film Response for March 7: The Red, The White, or Daises

1. I have difficulties to understand “The Red and the White” but it has nothing to do with the language. Actually, I did not know what I should focus on or be aware of when I was watching it yesterday in class. The scenes are fast changing and there is basically no plot.
    In one of the readings, it mentioned that when Jancso made this film, what he was focusing on is the responsibilities in wartime and so when I was watching the film, I kept thinking it. However, I could not find what “responsibilities” that Jancso was trying to express.

2. Juan Monroy says:

In class, I listed three attributes by which we could evaluate Jansco’s work.

innovative camera work (especially the moving camera)
    commitment to political criticism
    the relationship between the powerful vs. the powerless

Do you see the film giving some attention to these features?

3. Yes, I did give attention to these features.
    I think the “responsibilities” mentioned in the readings is exactly what you said about “commitment to political criticism” and I could hardly find his crticism. (All I can think is that the war between the Red and the White hurt and humiliate innocent people. Is that what his criticism is about?)
    For the last one, all I can think is that the relationship is unequal. The powerless have to take orders from the powerful and have to obey them. When I was watching the film, I also realized that the role of being powerful or powerless could switch easily but I am not sure what this means.

4. Juan Monroy says:

You seemed to have figured out some starting points for writing your analysis. Work out these questions in writing for your film response, and you should have a good review for this film.

5. keiyenna1 says:

This film was really different from any other film that I’ve seen it had so many different ways of observing it since in each scene was completely off from the next but it did make some sense in away because of the political aspect of having to live in a time where everything was sensored and seized by their government. The directorwanted to rebel from those standards and rules thats why she put that on the sceme with girls rebeling as well as playing with colors and different settings….. And question is this the right part.to blog or just comments

6. Juan Monroy says:

No, please post in a new entry on this blog.