What An Excellent Day For An Exorcism. . .

Our generation has introduced what I would call the “Technological Era.” It is what’s defining us. Just look at today’s cinema experience: 3D expansion is rising with over two dozen films slated for a 3D release this year. But what did our parent’s cinematic generation have to define its era? They had the New Hollywood wave. Without it, some of our generation’s most memorable movies my not exist.

Each generation likes to believe that they were the first to do something grand. The New Hollywood era can distinctly hold that title thanks to the release of movies like Dog Day Afternoon, Apocalypse Now and Rosemary’s Baby.

But the one that I believe stands out the most is the horror classic The Exorcist.

Released in ‘73 and directed by William Friedkin, The Exorcist tells the story of Father Mirrin (Max Von Sydow) trying to release the demon held within the young Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair, in an Oscar nominated role.) Supporting actors include Oscar nominee’s Ellen Burstyn and Jason Miller. It is still to this day one of Hollywood praised ‘possessions’ (get the pun). The movie is also a topic of heated debut by film historians regarding one of the movies most iconic scenes: the spider-walk scene. Was it real? Or not?

Compared to today’s lackluster horror films (mostly remakes) that rip-off the films topic like The Exorcism of Emily Rose or last years The Last Exorcism, The Exorcist was nominated for an astounding 10 Oscar including Best Picture. It is perhaps one of the few horror films ever released to achieve that much success, which speaks to its character.

Today’s young audience has no idea of the cinematic wasteland that lay behind them. Today’s movies are rip-offs, remakes, sequels or just plain stink and we believe them to be originals. The Exorcist holds a spot in cinema history that cannot be touched which is why I believe it to be one of, if not, the greatest movie going experience to come out of New Hollywood.

About Mathias Kranacher

Hey Im Matt. Im 20 from NYC. I am a huge movie buff! Media Studies major and a Journalism minor. This blog was dont for school but I enjoyed writting about cinema so much that Ive decided to keep it going. Im only writting about movies, past, present, and future. If you're coming here looking for gossip about Hollywood, you're not gunna get it. Although I will occational post about the lastest scandals lol. Feel free to comment and tell me what you think, but lets be foreal, dont go crazy with the insults people. I understand free speach and all but make you point, say what you gotta say, and be on. Lets not get all personal.... We're here becuase we love movies and wanna express our thoughts. Enjoy :)
This entry was posted in Film Response 02/23, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to What An Excellent Day For An Exorcism. . .

1. Juan Monroy says:

Great introduction to the film, but can you explain how exactly it was a New Hollywood film. The cast list doesn’t tell me all that much.

Also what sources did you use?